Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday night happiness!

Tuesday nights for me can either be really lame or really happy.  Stephen works late on Tuesday nights so I am often alone for many hours and the world is my oyster.  This can either mean sitting around counting the seconds until he comes home or cooking up a storm!  Tonight I am cooking!  Woohoo!  I just put some Cranberry-Walnut Oatmeal in the slow-cooker and I'm making some soup as we speak.  

Anyone who has ever gone out for a meal with me knows that I LOOOOOOOOOOVE mushrooms!  Anything with mushrooms!  It could be a cardboard box covered in mushrooms and I would order it!  Yum!  Stephen despises mushrooms.  What is a girl to do?  Cook with mushrooms when he isn't home!  Duh!

Creamy Mushroom Soup


Ingredients:

Cooking spray
1 1/2 c. leeks, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, fresh, pressed (or minced)
20 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
3 c. chicken broth, fat-free, reduced-sodium
3/4 c. milk, fat-free, evaporated
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper, ground

Instructions:

1.  Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.  Add leeks, celery, and garlic; saute until soft (about 4 minutes).  Add mushrooms; saute until soft, stirring frequently (about 7 minutes).

2.  Add broth to mushroom mixture and stir.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

3.  Remove pan from heat and puree with immersion blender (you could use a food processor or blender in small batches if you don't have an immersion blender).

4.  Add milk to pureed mixture and return to heat.  Simmer for 2 minutes or until heated through.  Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 4 (about 1 1/2 cups per serving)
2 WW points+

2 comments: